Friday 2 May 2008

Cachetism of Cliché

The BBC reports Mr Brown's response to the election results...

Mr Brown told reporters: "It's clear to me that this has been a disappointing night, indeed a bad night for Labour."

He conceded that the government had "lessons to learn", but insisted: "My job is to listen and to lead."

I suppose "listen" is better than its predecessor, "connect with ordinary people", but is is nearly as numbing.

"My job is to cut taxes, rein in public sector spending, reduce public debt, hold a referendum on the notaConstitution, abolish PFI, appoint a competent Chancellor for the first time in eleven years, support our military, shoot myself..."

The picture shows the man making his characteristic sucking gesture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does he do that? Always looks like he has a mouth ulcer or something. Still, at least he is not picking his nose and eating it, we should be thankful for small mercies.

Chertiozhnik said...

Dunno. Millions of style gurus must have pointed it out to him, maybe he does it just to annoy people like me.

Works, anyway.