Friday 18 January 2008

Time

The "New Scientist" this week leads with yet another article about how Time is an illusion.

How often does this have to be said?

It is not 03:06 in the morning again, I am not about to have a bath, shave, clean my teeth, read a book and fall asleep a couple of hours after that, again.

Nor am I going to catch the 13:19 from Brighton to Croydon and arrive for work at 14:00 all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and suited'n'booted. Again.

So I can replace the information about which measurement happens first in time with the detailed information about how the observables are correlated, says the very wonderful Carlo Rovelli, a physicist at the University of Marseilles in France.

"Rovelli's work makes the timeless view more believable and more in line with standard physics", says Dean Rickles, a philosopher of physics at the University of Sydney in Australia.

I can only commend these gents to you, says your Blogista, a person who is about to have a bath in the Bathroom of a Flat at the Town of Hove in the United Kingdom.

2 comments:

YesBut said...

I hope you remember to wash behind the ears!

Chertiozhnik said...

Never fail. I have my checklist pinned up over the tub.